Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Seared Scallops with Lemony Parmesan Peas

Have I declared my love of seafood on this blog before? If not, I must! I absolutely love seafood - some of my favourite childhood food memories include my mother and I heading to our local neighborhood market in Paris and getting delicious shellfish that we would enjoy for Sunday lunches with homemade mayonnaise. Favourites were always 'bigorneaux' (a sea snail), lobster and shrimp. For some reason, seafood always feels like a celebratory meal for me - maybe because it's more expensive than meat or chicken - or maybe just because I don't have it that often. Delicious, fresh - and decently priced - seafood is not always easy to find!

For this dish, I used wild Nova Scotian sea scallops which I buy frozen. This makes it more affordable (usually) and the scallops still taste fresh and plump. Having these on hand in my freezer has helped make scallops a more regular meal in our house. This dish also includes microgreens - healthy edible plants with a lovely bite - but you could replace these with pea shoots or baby spinach, or omit them altogether.Now for the recipe..!

Seared Scallops with Lemony Parmesan Peas (serves 2)
12 scallops
1 shallot, finely diced
2 cups of frozen peas, thawed
1 cup of microgreens
1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Olive oil

In a pan on medium low heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the diced shallot and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and add the thawed peas. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer to a bowl and add the Parmesan and lemon juice. Mix. Add in the microgreens and reserve.

Place the same pan on medium high heat and add another drizzle of olive oil. Generously season the scallops on both sides and add to the pan. Cook, untouched, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and just cooked through.

Add the peas to your serving platter and top with the scallops. Serve immediately, with slices of lemon. Enjoy!

7 comments:

bilbaobab said...

yum!! I LOVE peas and thanks for sharing!!

Chocolate Shavings said...

bilbaobab: So do I, and they pair so well with scallops!

Susan said...

This is the perfect dish for Spring!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Happy Easter!

cara.sundholm said...

What are micro greens?

Chocolate Shavings said...

cara.sundholm: Micro greens are plants harvested very young so they are tender. They are delicious in salads or sides - let me know if you give them a try!

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet said...

I've been craving scallops lately. These look great!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet: Thank you! Let me know if you give them a try!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin