Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sugar Shack Time!

I've been in Montreal for over 6 years now, and for some odd reason had never made my way to a sugar shack. This spring, it was time to remedy this and what better place to go than Martin Picard's sugar shack? For all of you readers in the Montreal ares (or those of you who have visited Montreal at some point in the last few years) you have probably made a stop at Pied de Cochon, the quintessential meat-lover paradise. Set in a casual but quaint setting, the restaurant serves generous portion of perfect comfort food from foie gras poutine to homemade boudin and duck in a can. Martin Picard's Sugar shack, located a short drive from downtown Montreal, was similarly full of charm, with a lovely wooden and warm interior, casual communal tables and large potions of food to be shared.

Sugar Shacks are a great way to experience Quebec food culture, with platefuls of maple-syrup infused foods, juicy meats, crispy pieces of pork, and more food than most dream of. Here are just some of what we enjoyed - it's been almost a week but I can still feel kind of full looking at these pictures!

Menu, top down, from left to right:
Sturgeon Omelette with Fork-Tender Pork Shoulder, Fried Pork Rind Salad with Cheddar and Ham, Meat Pie (Tourtiere), Cabbage Stuffed with Lobster, pork and Foie Gras, Maple Chicken with Beans, Maple Mille Feuille, Maple Taffy, Banana Split with Cotton Candy, Maple Ice Cream and Maple Pecans.

13 comments:

Alejandra Ramos said...

This is so fantastic! I've heard amazing things about Picard's sugar shack.

Elsa said...

I've been to Au Pied du Cochon once and have been dying to go again! I had no idea he had a Cabane a sucre! It's booked for the season though so I'll make sure I'll reserve in advance next year.. Thanks!

Deana Sidney said...

I am absolutely crazy about maple syrup and have never been to a sugar shack, let alone one run by such a wonderful chef... his reputation even reaches us here in NYC. Thanks for the recommendation.. Next time I get up Canada way I will stop in an check it out.

Unplanned Cooking said...

I'd never heard of a sugar shack before your post. Would love to visit one.

Chocolate Freckles said...

I love Martin Picard!! we went to Montreal last year and went directly to Au Pied du Cochon and were amazed by the food!!.. He was so nice too!!.. Next time we do to Montreal we will definitely try this new restaurant thanks for sharing your experience!!..

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I had no idea that there was a such thing as a maple "sugar shack" I love everything maple so all these dishes pictured are tempting me big time! Nice to read about such a great experience.

Coco Bean said...

So much fun, I was stuffed for days after that brunch! I love the photos!!

Jamie said...

Wow! I am amazed! I have never heard of a sugar shack but I'd be up to visit one any day!

Muneeba said...

I've never been to these sugar shacks ... man, did I miss out! That's it, my next trip to Montreal, I'm gonna load up on these babies!

kimberleyblue said...

Your photos look great! We went a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it...nothing like a decadent meal filled with maple syrup!

Liliana said...

Great looking photos!! I am so sorry I missed coming to this event. Next year for sure.

Hannah said...

Oh, that photo of the Maple Taffy takes me right back to reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books! One day I'll get to try maple candy myself...

Debbie Bello said...

Everything on this site looks great. I really love the pictures. They make me hungry just looking at them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin