Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lime and Ricotta Cheesecake


I happened to see this recipe featured on the Today Show last week and as soon as I saw the look of the final cake I knew I had to try it at home. I had never had a proper American cheesecake before I moved to North America, and yes, as shocking as it may seem to anyone who has always lived on this side of the world, France does not carry Philadelphia cheese. I've seen it a couple times in the last couple years, but it's definitely not a staple of French every day cooking!

My mom grew up eating traditional Eastern European cheesecakes. Those are the real thing! They are sky-high fluffy, airy and creamy cakes, with no base, incredibly moist and deliciously rich. This recipe comes quite close to those cheesecakes, it uses ricotta and can be flavored with any type of citrus, or just a nice subtle vanilla flavor.

I flavored these babies with some lime (juice and zest) and made small cakes and individual portions, but you could make it a traditional 9-inch cake pan. They rise wonderfully in the oven - much like souffles would - and then nicely cave in when they cool looking rustic and bueatifully uneven. I really loved these cakes, and this was the perfect excuse to use a batch of fresh whole milk ricotta I had bought at the market.



Lime and Ricotta Cheesecake

(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes one 9-inch cake

Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pan
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
1 1/2 pounds fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese, pureed in a food processor until smooth
6 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Finely grated zest of 2 limes, plus juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter and sugar a 9-inch springform pan (3 inches deep). Whisk together ricotta, egg yolks, flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, the lime zest and juice, and salt in a large bowl.

Whisk egg whites with a mixer on low speed until foamy. Raise speed to high, and gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, whisking until stiff, glossy peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently fold a third of the whites into ricotta mixture using a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently fold in remaining whites until just combined.

Pour batter into pan, and bake until center is firm and top is deep golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; release sides to remove from pan, and let cool completely.

Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.

36 comments:

A Little Yumminess said...

Will have to try this for sure when my parents visit. They love cheesecake. This with a strong cup of coffee. Heaven!!

jenious said...

The fluffiness and deep crackly surface are appealing. Can't wait to try!

Ian said...

so yummy :D

Rose said...

Yum! I love ricotta cheesecakes, so light and fluffy! Love the addition of lime.

Chele said...

Oh wow! That looks so goooooooooood!

Taranii said...

wow, these look delicious. I'm definitely going to have to try this because everyone loves a good cheesecake!

CC11 said...

They look rustically delicious

Coco Bean said...

Oh wow, it was so good!! Thanks again for helping to make Ians b-day special!

Nina Timm said...

How beautiful, sunlight in the cake and sunlight on the cake.......Lime and ricotta, such a perfect combo!

Poires au Chocolat said...

These look divine - I've never made cheesecake with ricotta. So fluffy!

Olive said...

I love the look of your cheesecake..now I have to try it too :)

Amanda said...

Oh I bet that's fabulous, I have to try it! Are those minis?? They look great!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jen, Philadelphia cream cheese is quite recent here in Brazil as well - and cheesecakes too.
Yours are so pretty - I love it that you served them in glasses, too!

Mini Baker said...

wow that looks so ridiculously good!!!
-Mini B.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've been intending to try making a ricotta cheesecake for years. I love ricotta and can only imagine the deliciousness of a cheesecake made with it.
~ingrid

Cynthia said...

Bookmarked!

Lisa said...

Ooh, these look so airy, and delicious. I love the addition of lime. These are beautiful -- great rustic texture!

CookiePie said...

Those are beautiful!!! And I love anything lime...

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

How absolutely gorgeous!! Glad you happened to catch the Today Show and get inspired to make these:)

http://meatandpotatoesfoodie.blogspot.com/

Alejandra Ramos said...

These are gorgeous! I have the exact little mini springform pans. They're my favorite.

Deana Sidney said...

It never occurred to me that you were not American.. aren't blogs amazing... you are a great addition to our melting pot and this is a wonderful cheesecake!

tasteofbeirut said...

Whenever a cheesecake calls for splitting the eggs I know it is going to be a favorite! Much lighter and the lime addition with the ricotta, perfect!

Unknown said...

Yum! Beautiful!

Valen said...

This looks to die for!

Sooshi said...

This looks all sorts of amazing and it reminds me of Japanese cheesecakes. I have a feeling it's a lot lower in calories too, definitely trying this! :)

Debbie said...

Oh these look so good. I have to try this out for myself. I LOVE cheesecake!!!

Peggy said...

these definitely look stunning... they remind me of a cross between a japanese cheesecake and an american one... i bet it's delicious!

Amy B. said...

Cheesecake! I love cheesecakes! Too bad I'm not really good in making cakes, but I would sooo love to try make this one! THanks for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

this looks incredible! i'll definitely have to try it out.. i love anything with a bit of a tart edge! xo

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

These cheese cakes are gorgeous. I love how Ricotta lends itself so nicely to sweets and savories. I bet they are great still warm form the oven.

S said...

thanks for the visit on my blog- it brought me to yours- and what a beauty you have here. lots of gorgeous photos and recipes. best wishes, shayma

Kitchen Butterfly said...

You're making me wish I loved ricotta.........hmmmm

Jennifer said...

Look at how fluffy it is!!! Loving the ricotta in this! thanks so much for sharing this great recipe *saving*

Val said...

That lead photo has convinced me that I have to make this the minute I get my hands on some Ricotta!

M. said...

It looks so tasty....lime zest and ricotta...yum!

Happee Monkee said...

That cheesecake seriously looks dangerous. Dangerously yummy! Ah! And love your photos!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin